The World Cup Controversy thread (renamed)

Description: The only place for all Non Celestia Discussion/Stuff

Chuft-Captain
Topic author
Chuft-Captain
Topic author
With us: 11 years 7 months

#1by Chuft-Captain » 21.06.2010, 07:31

NZ 1 Italy 1 :mrgreen:
Last edited by Chuft-Captain on 28.06.2010, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

O'NEILL COLONY
LAGRANGE POINTS

Chuft-Captain
Topic author
Chuft-Captain
Topic author

Re: The "World Cup Upsets" thread

#2by Chuft-Captain » 22.06.2010, 17:09

I'm sure that Fenerit would have had something to say on this thread by now (but unfortunately the forum lately has been falling over almost as easily as an Italian footballer). :wink:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"

O'NEILL COLONY
LAGRANGE POINTS

Fenerit M
Fenerit M
With us: 10 years 3 months

#3by Fenerit » 25.06.2010, 22:15

The forum's downfalls have permits a long and more radical meditation about such score, like you was able to see a tad later... And surely the penalty was a bit robbed... Once returned, the team will be welcomed at the sound of the buh-buh zelas.
Never at rest.
Massimo

TERRIER
TERRIER
With us: 14 years 2 months

#4by TERRIER » 25.06.2010, 23:09

Fenerit wrote:The forum's downfalls have permits a long and more radical meditation about such score, like you was able to see a tad later... And surely the penalty was a bit robbed... Once returned, the team will be welcomed at the sound of the buh-buh zelas.

Ah-ha the forum has returned from it's own upset it seems! and the main victims of the World Cup Upset this time around appears to be Italy who along with fellow finalists from 2006 France( not quite such a shock) have fallen at the first hurdle in 2010. Maybe they both will be returning to the sound of the buh-buh zela, but I think it will be mixed in with the loud thudding of soft fruits and vegetables.

You could also argue that England's win over Slovenia was a bit of an upset, considering the way they played against Algeria, but it's onwards now to play against Germany in the next round - I hope Engalnd will not be paying the penalty for not winning their group (curses to Landon Donovan and his injury time winner :P ) anyway.....

........C'MON EN-GER-LAND!!!!
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

chris
Site Admin
chris
Site Admin
With us: 15 years 5 months

#5by chris » 25.06.2010, 23:23

I think the South Americans on the forum should be gloating here... Uruguay, Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile are all in the Round of 16.

--Chris

Fenerit M
Fenerit M

#6by Fenerit » 25.06.2010, 23:31

chris wrote:I think the South Americans on the forum should be gloating here... Uruguay, Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile are all in the Round of 16.

--Chris

Indeed. And all plays in the southern emisphere...

Terrier, just to meet an incipient nightmare, mind that the England's coach is an italian... :P
Never at rest.
Massimo

t00fri
t00fri
With us: 15 years 3 months

#7by t00fri » 25.06.2010, 23:49

Someone told me that Germany will win against England on Sunday. Is this correct? ;-)
I prefer chess...

Fridger

TERRIER
TERRIER

#8by TERRIER » 26.06.2010, 00:00

t00fri wrote:Someone told me that Germany will win against England on Sunday. Is this correct? ;-)

You must have been speaking to Franz Beckenbauer :lol: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8757944.stm

While the South Americans have all played well, it's been a different story for the dissapointing European teams. Of the 13 that qualified I think that only the Dutch have played consistently well, and 7 have been ko'd at the group stages. Due to the match-ups in the Rd of 16, only 3 will make it through to the QF's.

Fenerit wrote:Terrier, just to meet an incipient nightmare, mind that the England's coach is an italian... :P

That is not a problem for me - he has done a good job until these finals. I did get caught up in the nations mood after the Algeria game, calling for the head of Capello, but now that we have got through to the next round he is Fab again. :mrgreen:
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:

t00fri
t00fri

#9by t00fri » 26.06.2010, 00:27

TERRIER wrote:
t00fri wrote:Someone told me that Germany will win against England on Sunday. Is this correct? ;-)

You must have been speaking to Franz Beckenbauer :lol: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8757944.stm

While the South Americans have all played well,
You can't mean that Brazil or Chile played well today ...

it's been a different story for the dissapointing European teams. Of the 13 that qualified I think that only the Dutch have played consistently well, and 7 have been ko'd at the group stages. Due to the match-ups in the Rd of 16, only 3 will make it through to the QF's.

Consistent well playing is of NO importance, really. In the past, the winning teams (including Germany) rarely did.

So far, Germany won 5 goals and took only 1 in 3 games played. It's not THAT bad...

Fridger

Reiko
Reiko
With us: 10 years 9 months

#10by Reiko » 26.06.2010, 01:17

Japan humiliated Denmark at 3-1. :D

I prefer chess...

Fridger

Germany will prevail. 8)

TERRIER
TERRIER

#11by TERRIER » 26.06.2010, 07:40

t00fri wrote:You can't mean that Brazil or Chile played well today ...

I think the Brazil v Portugal, and Spain v Chile games were very 'cosy' results which suited all 4 teams concerned to progresss to the next round. They were so cosy infact that I have become slightly richer :-)
Chile have impressed me in all 3 of their games, and were doing well yesterday until a goalkeeping blunder knocked them off their stride (this also happened to another team I can think of.) The big problem they have had so far is missing too many decent chances in front of goal.

t00fri wrote:Consistent well playing is of NO importance, really. In the past, the winning teams (including Germany) rarely did.

True, Italy usually prove this rule :mrgreen:

t00fri wrote:So far, Germany won 5 goals and took only 1 in 3 games played. It's not THAT bad...

Germany played very well in their first game, but I don't think they've been so convincing since then. It has to be said that they were the brightest ray of hope for an entertaining World Cup after the dull, safety-first football played in many of the first set of group matches. Luckily since then, most of the games have become more enjoyable - I only hope that the fear of losing does not re-appear now we have arrived at the knock-out rounds.

Reiko wrote:Germany will prevail. 8)

:lol: Now that would be a World Cup Upset!

Fenerit M
Fenerit M

#12by Fenerit » 26.06.2010, 08:51

TERRIER wrote:... calling for the head of Capello ...

"...calling for the head of Hair ..." (capello = hair). Sorry Terrier, I couldn't resist. :D
Never at rest.
Massimo

Fenerit M
Fenerit M

#13by Fenerit » 26.06.2010, 09:13

TERRIER wrote:
t00fri wrote:Consistent well playing is of NO importance, really. In the past, the winning teams (including Germany) rarely did.

True, Italy usually prove this rule :mrgreen:

Sure! It's matter of soccer's philosophy; for Italy the most important player is the goalkeeper, not the delantero. One, two intervenings are decisive within the long run of a World Cup. England meet Germany because one goalkeeper's fault than two goals done.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Chuft-Captain
Topic author
Chuft-Captain
Topic author

#14by Chuft-Captain » 26.06.2010, 11:06

At this stage I'm thinking this may be Argentina's year, but anything can happen (as Group F showed).

( EDIT: I'm kinda hoping that Paraguay win. That would be something! :) )

O'NEILL COLONY
LAGRANGE POINTS

t00fri
t00fri

#15by t00fri » 26.06.2010, 16:23

TERRIER wrote:

Why? Since the beginning of the World Cup (1930), Germany won it 3 times, last in 1990. Moreover it came second 4 times, last in 2002. That's not a bad record, is it?

Italy has even 4 wins last one in 2006, and 2 second places.
Brazil is the leader, with 5 wins and 2 second places. Argentina and Uruquay won twice each, with 2 second places for Argentina and 1 second place for Uruquay.

Well...England won the World Cup only once (back in 1966!) and never won a second place.

Fridger

TERRIER
TERRIER

#16by TERRIER » 26.06.2010, 21:35

t00fri wrote:
TERRIER wrote:

Why? Since the beginning of the World Cup (1930), Germany won it 3 times, last in 1990. Moreover it came second 4 times, last in 2002. That's not a bad record, is it?

Italy has even 4 wins last one in 2006, and 2 second places.
Brazil is the leader, with 5 wins and 2 second places. Argentina and Uruquay won twice each, with 2 second places for Argentina and 1 second place for Uruquay.

Well...England won the World Cup only once (back in 1966!) and never won a second place.

Fridger

Yes, they do all have great records, and you could even argue that England should give many thanks to a Russian linesman in 1966 - but as we have seen with Italy and France this time around, all the previous wins and final appearances means nothing - it's current form that counts.

Meanwhile the first two QF places have been taken by Uruguay and Ghana (slightly suprised that the USA were k.o'd ) and both were decent games with not too much negative football, let's hope the trend continues......

....next up, the argument will be settled, it's ENGLAND v GERMANY

Fenerit wrote:"...calling for the head of Hair ..." (capello = hair). Sorry Terrier, I couldn't resist. :D

I am hoping for our managers sake that we will not be calling him (please excuse the translation) "un cervello fatto di capelli"..... HAIR BRAINED!!!!

Fenerit M
Fenerit M

#17by Fenerit » 26.06.2010, 21:57

TERRIER wrote:I am hoping for our managers sake that we will not be calling him (please excuse the translation) "un cervello fatto di capelli"..... HAIR BRAINED!!!!

No excuse, it is perfectly right! 8)

P.S.
Bad approach to the extra times by U.S. team, imho. At the beginning, they seemed to bring the match toward the penalty phase... Instead the Ghana has done the right thing: try to win.
Never at rest.
Massimo

t00fri
t00fri

#18by t00fri » 27.06.2010, 00:09

TERRRIER wrote:Yes, they do all have great records, and you could even argue that England should give many thanks to a Russian linesman in 1966 - but as we have seen with Italy and France this time around, all the previous wins and final appearances means nothing - it's current form that counts.

I disagree. What remains is the fame that Brazil, Germany and Italy made it to the final match, 7 and 6 times, respectively. England made it to the final only once (in 1966 against Germany).

On account of this record I am inclined to disagree with your above statement
TERRRIER wrote:Now that would be a World Cup Upset, if Germany prevails...

Of course, noone knows who will win the 2010 Wold Cup. Since my daughter has British nationality, I would be happy if England wins this time for a change. :D

Fridger

bh
bh
With us: 14 years 7 months

#19by bh » 27.06.2010, 01:37

I absolutely HATE football... with a passion. How can anyone put 'England' into three syllables? ( Eng -ge-land)... I despise the moronic culture, fuelled by larger, that has to go with it, where ever in the world it takes place. I'm appalled at the outrageous salaries these so called 'entertainers' are paid.

Anyways... back to my place tomoz (Sun) for fish chillie and a few beers and watch England stuff Germania up their proverbial arses! Heh.

I'm sure Mr Schrempp will be watching!
regards...bh.

Hungry4info
Hungry4info
With us: 11 years 10 months

#20by Hungry4info » 27.06.2010, 02:38

t00fri wrote:I prefer chess...

Absolutely. Same here.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM