Sound in Celestia

Description: The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.

dovlex
Topic author
dovlex
Topic author
Posts: 9
With us: 8 years 10 months

#1by dovlex » 20.09.2008, 05:23

I have Celestia 1.5.1 is there any options that put the sound or music in the program....?

selden
Avatar
selden
Posts: 10020
With us: 14 years 10 months
Location: NY, USA

Re: Sound in Celestia

#2by selden » 20.09.2008, 12:35

Celestia v1.5.1 does not contain any options for sound.

However, the variant of Celestia used for Frank Gregorio's educational activities, Celestia-1.5.1-ED, does include sound support. It's Celestia v1.5.1 plus some additional features. It is available at http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... tional.php
Selden

ANDREA
ANDREA
Age: 72
Posts: 1528
With us: 15 years 1 month
Location: Rome, ITALY

Re: Sound in Celestia

#3by ANDREA » 20.09.2008, 14:40

dovlex wrote:I have Celestia 1.5.1 is there any options that put the sound or music in the program....?
Hello Dovlez, sorry, no sound or music for Celestia 1.5.1, but probably it will be available in Celestia 1.6. :wink:
Give a look here:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12951&start=0
Bye.

Andrea :D
Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 3.8 GHz- 8 GB DDR2
DELL 2709W 1920x1200- WIN 7 64 bit- ASUS P5K-E-
8800 GTX 768MB- 6xSATA II, total 7.5 TB-260.89- Celestia 1.6.1
Celestia1.4.1_patch3- Vincent's LUA Edu Tools 1.2

dovlex
Topic author
dovlex
Topic author
Posts: 9
With us: 8 years 10 months

Re: Sound in Celestia

#4by dovlex » 20.09.2008, 18:51

ANDREA wrote:Hello Dovlez, sorry, no sound or music for Celestia 1.5.1, but probably it will be available in Celestia 1.6. :wink:
Give a look here:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12951&start=0
Bye.

Andrea :D
I look forward to it, I know that it was difficult to make this (do not be angry because of my impatience) but when will it be completed? :D

ANDREA
ANDREA
Age: 72
Posts: 1528
With us: 15 years 1 month
Location: Rome, ITALY

Re: Sound in Celestia

#5by ANDREA » 20.09.2008, 21:23

dovlex wrote:
ANDREA wrote:Hello Dovlez, sorry, no sound or music for Celestia 1.5.1, but probably it will be available in Celestia 1.6. :wink:
Give a look here:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12951&start=0
Bye.
Andrea :D
I look forward to it, I know that it was difficult to make this (do not be angry because of my impatience) but when will it be completed? :D
Sorry dovlex, dunno, it's still under discussion in the developers group.
Be patient, I'm waiting for it from at least three years. :wink:
Bye soon, may be.

Andrea :D
Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 3.8 GHz- 8 GB DDR2
DELL 2709W 1920x1200- WIN 7 64 bit- ASUS P5K-E-
8800 GTX 768MB- 6xSATA II, total 7.5 TB-260.89- Celestia 1.6.1
Celestia1.4.1_patch3- Vincent's LUA Edu Tools 1.2

duds26
duds26
Age: 27
Posts: 331
With us: 10 years 5 months
Location: Europe

Re: Sound in Celestia

#6by duds26 » 26.09.2008, 12:43

Will this mean that Celestia-ED will be discontinued?
(I mean the adjusted version of Celestia, not the Educational Activities.)


And users of Celestia-ED will be directed to Celestia 1.6?
With the educational activities adjusted for Celestia 1.6?
Last edited by duds26 on 27.09.2008, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

BobHegwood
BobHegwood
Posts: 1814
With us: 9 years 9 months

Re: Sound in Celestia

#7by BobHegwood » 26.09.2008, 15:33

duds26 wrote:Will this mean that Celestia-ED will be discontinued?

And users of Celestia-ED will be directed to Celestia 1.6?
With the educational activities adjusted for Celestia 1.6?

I'm sure that Frank will probably answer this post, but if you like you can simply send a PM to fsgregs if you like.
I would very much doubt that Frank's educational activities would be discontinued though. More likely, he will
adjust them to the new, stable, version of Celestia when it is finished.

Thanks, Bob
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

duds26
duds26
Age: 27
Posts: 331
With us: 10 years 5 months
Location: Europe

Re: Sound in Celestia

#8by duds26 » 27.09.2008, 13:12

BobHegwood wrote:
duds26 wrote:Will this mean that Celestia-ED will be discontinued?

And users of Celestia-ED will be directed to Celestia 1.6?
With the educational activities adjusted for Celestia 1.6?

I'm sure that Frank will probably answer this post, but if you like you can simply send a PM to fsgregs if you like.
I would very much doubt that Frank's educational activities would be discontinued though. More likely, he will
adjust them to the new, stable, version of Celestia when it is finished.

Thanks, Bob

There may be other people wondering about the same thing, so they can read it here.
And if you do a search, you can find something on the forum.
This isn't the case with a private message.

And what formats are supported?
wma, (mp3 probably not), flac, ogg (vorbis), spx (speex codec for speech), ape, others???
(Please ogg codecs: flac, ogg, spx)

fsgregs
Avatar
fsgregs
Posts: 1287
With us: 14 years 9 months
Location: Manassas, VA

Re: Sound in Celestia

#9by fsgregs » 13.12.2008, 04:12

duds26:

Sorry, I just discovered this post.

If sound is added to 1.6.0, I will simply modify all of the Educational Activities to use 1.6.0. Since Vincent has already added the ability to display cockpit and overlay textures to his luaEdu tools add-on, and given the new features in 1.6.0, it would be preferable to use it over a special sound version of 1.6.0-ED.

Please understand that sound effects in Celestia151-ED are very nice, but they do have a few disadvantages. The code allows for 8 sounds to be played, either alone or together. To turn activate the sound feature and turn them on or off, a celx script has to be written, and run. The script remaps some of the keys in Celestia so that when they are pressed, a sound will play. There are some restrictions for what kind of sound file you can use. Only WAV files can be played, and they have to have the right bit sampling rate. The celx script also has to be written to incorporate those specific sounds. It is not that difficult but will take a bit of time.

When that sound script is running, other celx scripts cannot be run (since only 1 celx script can be running at a time). I get around this by writing rather large celx scripts that incorporate the sounds I want to play in the educational activities with any/all other celx features I need for that particular activity. That too can get a bit cumbersome.

Nevertheless, I hope Vincent and the other developers agree to insert sound code into 1.6.0. :) I think lots of people would like it.

Frank

Hungry4info
Moderator
Avatar
Hungry4info
Moderator
Posts: 1151
With us: 11 years 10 months
Location: Indiana, United States

Re: Sound in Celestia

#10by Hungry4info » 14.12.2008, 04:06

With the exception of fictional add-ons, sound won't really serve much of a purpose, space being a vacuum and all.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

fsgregs
Avatar
fsgregs
Posts: 1287
With us: 14 years 9 months
Location: Manassas, VA

Re: Sound in Celestia

#11by fsgregs » 14.12.2008, 04:27

Sound can be very enjoyable when visiting planet surfaces (wind, thunder, volcanic eruption sound effects). You can also write scripts to play some music files at particular points in a scripted journey, or to listen to spacecraft (e.g. - Sputnik), to enjoy many add-ons which might benefit from sound (hear pulsars pulsing in radio, for example). In the Celestia educational activities, I have over 60 sound effects in use. :) Some folks might also want to include some narration in script files. That would be most useful!!!

FYI

Frank

Reiko
Reiko
Age: 34
Posts: 1120
With us: 10 years 9 months
Location: Out there...

Re: Sound in Celestia

#12by Reiko » 24.12.2008, 05:47

Being new to sound in the real world I would really like to learn how to add them. :)

zhar2
zhar2
Posts: 208
With us: 9 years 4 months

Re: Sound in Celestia

#13by zhar2 » 24.12.2008, 13:25

Reiko wrote:Being new to sound in the real world

Eh? :)

fsgregs
Avatar
fsgregs
Posts: 1287
With us: 14 years 9 months
Location: Manassas, VA

Re: Sound in Celestia

#14by fsgregs » 24.12.2008, 14:28

Reiko:

Currently, sound in Celestia is only available by using the Celestia151-ED.exe version of the program. Although it is available for download on motherlode on the education page, that particular download is a full install file that creates new directories and "installs" Celestia 151-ED in place of your regular program. It also contains lots of additional high-res files which you will not need if all you wish is the option to play sounds.

When I come back from Xmas holidays in two days, I will package up an abbreviated download zip file of Celestia 151-ED, containing just the program and files you need to play sounds. You can unzip it into your regular Celestia 1.5.1 folder. I will also work on a brief tutorial on how to write a sound script, to command the program to play some sound files.

Happy holidays :)

Frank

Reiko
Reiko
Age: 34
Posts: 1120
With us: 10 years 9 months
Location: Out there...

Re: Sound in Celestia

#15by Reiko » 26.12.2008, 21:39

zhar2 wrote:
Reiko wrote:Being new to sound in the real world

Eh? :)
I was born deaf and thanks to implants I have been able to hear. That was less than two years ago.

fsgregs wrote:Reiko:

Currently, sound in Celestia is only available by using the Celestia151-ED.exe version of the program. Although it is available for download on motherlode on the education page, that particular download is a full install file that creates new directories and "installs" Celestia 151-ED in place of your regular program. It also contains lots of additional high-res files which you will not need if all you wish is the option to play sounds.

When I come back from Xmas holidays in two days, I will package up an abbreviated download zip file of Celestia 151-ED, containing just the program and files you need to play sounds. You can unzip it into your regular Celestia 1.5.1 folder. I will also work on a brief tutorial on how to write a sound script, to command the program to play some sound files.

Happy holidays :)

Frank

Oh thank you very much. :)

Julian Ray
Julian Ray
Posts: 4
With us: 8 years 6 months

Re: Sound in Celestia

#16by Julian Ray » 11.01.2009, 12:44

Hi,
I like Celestia much and I think optional sound/music could be good to complete the audio-visual painting.
For me, cosmos is a little bit empty without the music :)
If it is possible to collaborate with creators/developers, I could create ambient sounds and music for my favorite space sim.

Julian

Hungry4info
Moderator
Avatar
Hungry4info
Moderator
Posts: 1151
With us: 11 years 10 months
Location: Indiana, United States

Re: Sound in Celestia

#17by Hungry4info » 12.01.2009, 02:06

This has been the topic of numerous threads. If you use the search function, you'll discover this.

I think sound is going to be integrated in 1.6, but I'm not sure on that.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Julian Ray
Julian Ray
Posts: 4
With us: 8 years 6 months

Re: Sound in Celestia

#18by Julian Ray » 13.01.2009, 02:05

I'm curious, is anyone involved to sound/music part of Celestia development?
If not - I, probably, could help with it.

Julian
Last edited by Julian Ray on 14.01.2009, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Reiko
Reiko
Age: 34
Posts: 1120
With us: 10 years 9 months
Location: Out there...

Re: Sound in Celestia

#19by Reiko » 13.01.2009, 18:13

Celestia ED supports audio. You can find it here. http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... don_id=886

Julian Ray
Julian Ray
Posts: 4
With us: 8 years 6 months

Re: Sound in Celestia

#20by Julian Ray » 13.01.2009, 19:33

Thanks, Reiko, I've tried ED version, but no luck.
Of course, I can keep some ambient sound, playing while I exploring Celestia, but I think it could be good to have an optional possibility of sound in Celestia. I saw somewhere on this forum, that developers do not want to implement sound possibilities in Celestia codes (or something like this). If so, what about to make something like "Audio player for Celestia" just to let people use it together with Celestia.
Maybe with some events-synchronizing possibilities.
Just an idea.

Julian


Return to “Development”

Who is online (over the past 5 minutes)

Users browsing this forum: 4 guests