Updated stars.dat for Celestria using Gaia data

Description: The home for finished/released addons.

selden
Topic author
selden
Topic author
With us: 14 years 10 months

#1by selden » 13.05.2017, 21:51

Here's a link to my update for Celestia's stars.dat which incorporates distances from Gaia DR1. It includes both a modified stars.dat and an STC catalog that updates the stars.dat that comes with Celestia. If you choose to use the STC catalog, it causes Celestia to load quite slowly.

gaia_stardb.zip (2.7MB, expands to 5.4MB)

While creating it, I discovered that Gaia DR1 includes data for fewer than 80% of the Hipparcos stars. Hopefully DR2 will include them all.

Here's a view of the controversial Pleiades Cluster. Yellow marks show Hipparcos' distances while green marks show Gaia's. In the left-hand view, looking down from Galactic North, our Sun is off-screen at the top, while the right-hand view shows how they look from our viewpoint. The lower/smaller circle shows where the VLBA measured the cluster to actually be, within a LY. The red and green plus marks indicate the Hip and Gaia distances for Asterope. It's the only one of the stars called the "Seven Sisters" that's included in Gaia DR1.

pleiades.jpg
Selden

eburacum45
eburacum45
With us: 13 years 8 months

#2by eburacum45 » 14.05.2017, 09:18

Fantastic!
Now I'm going to have to check all the major stars in Orion's Arm for distance values.

Asterope seems a little closer than the rest of the cluster; I suppose that is natural, since we would probably see the stars on this side a little more clearly. There is a non-trivial amount of gas and dust in this cluster, and some of the stars on the other side might be slightly extinguished.

Return to “Add-on releases”